Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Countdown to Summer....

We are hoping to finish the school year by this weekend!!! Hooray! I am soooo ready for a break from school....and I can only imagine that the kids are too. Okay, I do plan on doing some with Jekkie throughout the summer....but just the same... I used to think that the USA was pretty dumb in the way that their school year worked....starting in SEPTEMBER??? (Australia starts in Feb.) tiny little 'breaks' every so often (Australia - work for 10 weeks then 2 weeks off), US, taking off 3months for the summer? Too long... (Australia - approx 8 weeks over Christmas time).......Now, I am quite happy with the way it is here....We do most of our book/school work through the months that are cooler, and can have a blast while the weather is nice... (OK, stinkin' hot) I have also found that it is a big plus with having a big garden! During the summer is when we start drowning in veggies, and so I need to learn how to can it all..... If we were having to mess with school as well? So, in a way I feel like the "real-life" schooling starts now....all the book-work, you have to have legally, but I look forward to relaxing and getting to teach cooking, and preserving, and growing, and harvesting, and weeding, and doing craft stuff, and just having fun.....and I get to learn too!

So the kids are working like crazy to get their stuff done so that they can quit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Narelle...
Just stopped by to say hello... I think of you often. Your holiday plans sound like great fun! Praying you and your family will be refreshed and inspired with the change of routine!! Love from Jacqui xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Narelle, Good to hear you are on holidays - hope you really enjoy them. I think I still like holidays our way as 10 weeks seems quite long enough to have to wait for a break, but no doubt when you get to summer break, it must be such a great thought to have 3 months off :) Happy gardening and canning. Love Karen